Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Watch Out, 'Cause We're the Spaceballs

Late one night in 1957 RAF controllers told US pilot Milton Torres to scramble his F-86D Sabre fighter to "lock on" and attack a "bogey" hovering above Norfolk, England. Seconds before the 26-year-old US Air Force lieutenant fired at the unknown flying object the size of an aircraft carrier, it vanished at an estimated 16,000km/h.

Sounds like a Hollywood remake of a 50s sci fi movie but it is actually from one of 19 files declassified by Britain's Ministry of Defence and released by the National Archives this week.

According to The Sun newspaper Torres said, "I was told I would be firing a complete salvo, all 24 rockets. I was pumped up - this was the sort of thing that happened before a war.".

He was approaching the UFO at almost 1125km/h and could see it on his radar before it suddenly disappeared from view. Torres, now 77, said: "I was smoking, as fast as I could go. This thing had a different propulsion system. It was not an airplane."

He said he was visited afterwards by a sinister security official and warned not to tell anyone. I wonder if they were wearing blue rubber gloves.

No comments: