Thursday, July 24, 2008

So, Does He Go In The Woods?

I don't usually post stuff about religion or politics but this time I just had to. My childhood was shaped by what some may have considered a modern Christian church at the time, especially when compared to catholicism and the like, so what Catherine Deveny, the author of this editorial written in the wake of World Youth Day, says sounds quite familiar to me. I also have close family members who are currently on the path of righteousness and feel the need to try and take everyone else for a ride.

Some quotes from the article for you to chew on:

"I don't give a stuff what people believe in, but it won't stop me poking at it or prodding it. Why should religion be any exemption? Telling me I'm going to hell won't bother me because I have the Flying Spaghetti Monster, the Invisible Pink Unicorn and Bertrand Russell's Teapot in my heart. Google them if you are in the market for some red hot enlightenment."

"...I do care that religion impacts on political discourse, public policy and that it stunts the ability of people to think for themselves and question. And that it kills people and causes suffering. But most of all I care that the invisible electric fences that are wired in the minds of children brainwashed by religion are difficult to remove. And impossible if you don't even know they're there."

1 comment:

Tim said...

ha! the home page sunset pic goes so well with a religous theme too! lol :D